When we’re asked “how’s life?” by our colleagues, family and friends we almost always say “I’m fine”.
However, when digging deeper and scrutinising our work life balance under a microscope – exactly how fine are we really?
While many of my What If Forums members regularly check in personal scores of 8s and 9s, their Wheel of Life – the below diagram comprising 12 segments including health and well being, personal finances, family and work – revealed otherwise and graphically highlighted where their biggest imbalances exist.
Answer the following questions honestly to find out if your life is on an even keel or out of kilter:
Health & Well Being
- Are you looking after yourself as the business owner?
- Is it time you took a personal retreat?
- How fit are you for the tough challenges of a slow recovery ahead?
- Do you invest in your own learning and development?
- Are you a member of a peer group who can act as a sounding board?
- Are you feeding your mind as well as your body?
- Do you celebrate your achievements and feel proud of them?
- Are you setting yourself new goals and challenges to reenergise you?
- Are you planning micro adventures?
Work & Career
- Are you driving your business – or is it driving you?
- Do you have a go forward plan and/or an exit plan?
- If you are a family business, do you have a succession plan?
- How many true friends do you have?
- Do you take the time to keep close to them and cherish their friendship?
- Do you make the effort to get out and meet new friends to enrich your life?
- How financially secure are you for the future?
- How secure do your family feel at this moment?
- Have you discussed with them what you all want to be, do and have in ten years?
- Does your business boost your energy levels or deplete them?
- Do you wake up in the middle of the night worrying about your business?
- Could you work fewer hours without the wheels falling off?
- How happy are you – and what are you going to do about it?
- Do you have the confidence and staying power to thrive and succeed?
- Are you sowing the seed of good health to boost your immune system?
Fun & Recreation
- Do you give your brain and body a boost with outdoor training?
- Do you take at least half an hour’s exercise every day?
- What activities would set your endorphins and well-being soaring?
Home & Family
- Do you plan magical breaks with the family?
- Do you give your loved ones the time they deserve?
- Do you truly appreciate your loved ones?
- Do you and your partner set aside ‘just you’ time to reconnect?
- Do you plan how – and where – you’ll both live in your golden years?
- Do you share hobbies and interests – if not why not?
- How financially robust is your business?
- How are you investing for your future retirement?
- Have you worked out how much is enough when exiting the business?
Having taken action and tested yourself, you know what you should stop doing and what you should do more of to get your Wheel of Life back in balance.
For your copy of the Wheel of Life template e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.